BARON LAKES

JULY 2020

MIDDLE BARON LAKE

UPPER BARON LAKE

BARON FALLS

BARON FALLS

MIDDLE BARON LAKE

LOWER BARON LAKE

The Baron Lakes can be reached from either the Redfish Lake or Grandjean Trailhead. Both require an approximately 20-mile round-trip hike, though the route from Redfish Lake can be reduced to approximately 14 miles if you take the boat shuttle across the lake. As I'd hiked most of the trail from Redfish Lake on a prior trip, I decided to try the Grandjean trail. 

From the Grandjean Trailhead, you will follow along the South Fork of the Payette River for approximately a mile-and-a-half, before turning left at Baron Creek and following it up the canyon. After about two more miles you will cross the North Fork of Baron Creek. From here it is about another five miles to Baron Falls. The trail from Grandjean to Baron Falls is relatively flat. You are gradually gaining elevation, but there are no steep spots or switchbacks. Just prior to reaching Baron Falls, you will see two nice waterfalls cascading down from the south side of the canyon. 

The trail doesn't take you very close to Baron Falls, so I decided to bushwhack over to them for a better view. It took a little work to get to them, but the views from the base of the falls were amazing. After taking a couple photos, I made my way back to the trail and up to the Baron Lakes Basin. Once in the basin, its about another mile-and-a-half to Middle Baron Lake. This is the largest lake in the basin, and the view from the inlet was stunning. From here I followed the trail about another half-mile to Upper Baron Lake. 

After returning to Middle Baron Lake, I decided to check out Lower Baron Lake on my way out. There is no trail to it, so I just climbed the ridge behind Middle Baron and made a steep descent down the hillside to reach it. It was nice, but not as nice as the upper two lakes. I then worked my may back to the trail and the Grandjean Trailhead.