THOMPSON LAKE

SEPTEMBER 2021

THOMPSON LAKE

FISHHOOK CREEK

SMALL POND BELOW THOMPSON LAKE

THOMPSON LAKE

THOMPSON LAKE

WATERFALL BELOW THOMPSON LAKE

THOMPSON LAKE

Thompson Lake is a beautiful, stark lake located just below Thompson Peak and accessed via an approximately 10-mile round-trip hike starting from Redfish Lake. The easiest way to get there is to take the Alpine Way Trail towards Marshall Lake, and turn left onto an  unmarked side trail about a mile before Marshall Lake. The trail doesn't show up on maps, but it is pretty well-used and easy to follow. 

Because I was unfamiliar with the Alpine Way Trail, I hiked to Fishhook Creek, and continued past the meadows until I found the outlet to Thompson Lake and followed it up. This ended up being very difficult, as it was a very steep climb with no trail and fallen trees everywhere. I eventually made it out of the trees to a pleasant opening with a meadow and past a small pond and waterfall as I continued my way up the canyon. I got tangled up in some of the brush by the waterfall, but eventually made it out and began the final steep climb to Thompson Lake. Its a very beautiful lake with a rugged, mostly inaccessible shoreline, but there was a nice spot to sit at its outlet where I had lunch and took a long rest. 

I then made my way to the opposite side of the canyon, as that looked like a much easier way down than the way I had took, and discovered there was a trail leading along the side of the canyon all the way back to the Alpine Way Trail. I felt a bit dumb for not knowing about this much easier route, but it stays high and bypasses the ponds and waterfall at the bottom of the canyon so I guess there are pros and cons to both routes. I'm planning to come back here again some time earlier in the year when the water is running higher, and combine it with Marshall and Upper Marshall Lake. I've also thought about continuing over the saddle behind the lake and hiking into the basin above Goat Lake, as I'd love to see that area when those lakes and streams are full.